Sunday 8 February 2015

Are you listening correctly

Not so long ago, in my final year of bible college. I was challenged on listening.
I thought, (or I was having a bit of a wobble about it) that surely there was only one way to listen to God.
I had it in the bag.
I chatted to God on a regular basis
And he talked to me.
But I had hit a stumbling block. I was struggling with my final assignment and felt that God wasn't giving me any clues on how to tackle it.
Normal I looked at my notes, married them up with the course book and saw how that had affected change in my life.
But this was different. I suddenly thought that I couldn't tune into Gods words. I couldn't hear what he was saying to me.
I was shouting out to him questioning his abandonment.

Then I had a revelation.

It wasn't that he wasn't talking to me.
It was ME, who had forgotten how to listen.

Here's my challenge to you right now.
Before I carry on.
Have a think. How does God talk to you?.

You see for me, God didn't just talk to me when I was lying around reading his word. Well he did but that wasn't the main way.
I am a creative being. I am an artist. I am very visual.
God didn't talk to me in ways that I didn't understand. He is a CREATIVE God. He created the universe.
Of course he is going to talk to me in a way I totally understand.

God talks to me through pictures. In things that I see when I am out an about. He gives me reminders of his love for me in nature, my children and in everyday things that I see when I am on my everyday trips.
God talks to me in a creative way as I am creative!

Creativity is part of who I am, who HE created. Am I am perfect and wonderfully made, just to his specifications.

I completed my final assignment with his guidance and ended up doing a large painting called 'The Lion of Judah'. And came away completely secure in the knowledge of how my Lord Jesus communicates with me.

One thing I have done and found encouraging is looked up lots of different passages written about artists in the bible.
You can do this if you are great with numbers or figuring things out. Take a look at what God says about you in the bible.
Carry those words around with you. And be encouraged.
God is always talking. You just have to tune in correctly to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment