Thursday 1 February 2018

Mrs Christmas

Its the Christmas month. My favourite time of year. To some of my friends i am known as Mrs Christmas as i just love it so much.
But this year. Im just not feeling it.
We've watched our town lights been switched on. Picked our tree and even seen Father Christmas, yet nothing is stirring inside of me.
Ive made a Christmas cake, spiced Christmas sticky ginger cake, mince meat for pies and printed my own Christmas cards...... yet nothing.
Jingles our elf arrived on the 1st of December and I've been moving him around and doing funny Christmas tricks with him for the kiddos. Yes i feel so down.

Hey i know that Christmas is all about Jesus. He is the reason for the season.  But I'm talking about the other stuff. The glitz and sparkle, the magic of Christmas. The feeling that you get inside that is exciting and intense and warm and fuzzy.
But I'm plodding through the days feeling sad and unappreciated. Making school lunches and dinner and feeling overwhelmed by all the things that i need to do.

As i sit here writing, snuggled up in a big oversized hoody and slippers warming my feet, i am surrounded by Christmas lights, a bench full of Christmas cards drying, and the smell of winter spice from my candle, unlit on my desk. Outside it is cold and grey. I can see the postman wrapped up warm with a red bag double his usual size bulging at his side. He pops a parcel down my neighbours side alley as they are not in. He hasn't time to stop and knock on someone else door and ask them to take it in for him. Its the busiest time of the year and he is in a rush and no extra pay to deliver twice as much.
No parcel for me today. No parcels for me any days. I love mail. I love post being delivered through my door.

The knock on my door and the rustle of my Christmas wreath send and exciting wave through my chest as i skip to see what has arrived.
Parcels for my husband or an order i have made for someone else.
Post is magical. But now technology has taken over. No one writes letters anymore. No one has time to write letters or cards.
Christmas cards become fewer each year even though your friends list becomes larger. No one has time to write cards.
A quick email and sometimes a 'what we got up to this year' email comes through to my email.
I bought 2 books of Christmas stamps last week. The price of those were crazy. I will send a few Christmas cards to family not near and pop on a Christmas stamp with Father Christmas on the front. My cards are so small so a quick hello and Merry Christmas will fit. Then a quick lick of the stamp and into the postbox they will go. My duty done.

I don't know how to get out of this funk!. My Christmas mojo has gone and i don't know where to find it.
My energy levels are low as I'm stumbling through each day almost falling into one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment